How safe are our MotoGirl Kevlar Leggings?
Our Testing Process
- At MotoGirl it is always safety first! We work with several large well known companies specialising in safety materials. We are lucky to be part of their technical material innovation team to test, improve and produce high quality fabric to use in our leggings. Our research is endless to ensure we stay ahead of our competitors, and provide quality safety trousers.
- We use 100% DuPont™ Kevlar®, Covec like material our own mix of fabric developed called MotoTech (we still thinking about a name :-) in all our products, several woven techniques are used with and without Elastane fabric. We send various samples for testing and review technical reports produced, to see how our products perform against European motorcycle clothing safety standards;
- Initial impact & abrasion (EN 13595-1) when in an accident or if you are thrown from your two wheels
- Cut & tear (EN 13595-1) tests on vulnerable areas such as knee and hips
The two layers in our MotoGirl leggings produced a result of just under 4 seconds, improving the abrasion we have inserted a 3rd layer (marked "2" in diagram below) of material in-between the kevlar and the heavy duty abrasion resistant fabric to increase the abrasion of the impact areas of the legging (knee and hip area) to over 4 seconds in these areas. We are working on a few exciting products and materials.... our aim is to get to a CE Approved garment!
Knee & Hip Protection
Increasing your safety we are using CE Approved Level 2 protection. (EN 1621-1, Type B Level 2)
(certificates available upon request)
The hip and knee protectors are yellow coloured, moulded Elastopan impact material. It is designed to reduce impact, high shock absorption and reduce the severity of injuries in the event of an accident.
- Ambient impact test
- Wet impact test after hydrolytic ageing
- Low temperature impact test @ -10 degrees
Customer testing & feedback:
We have a group of around 30 ladies short, tall, regular size from size UK4 to UK28. Before we put any product into production we get samples send to all our lady testers! These ladies have been carefully selected, ladies who ride a lot, honest, critical feedback, good or bad!
We do not simply adjust the length and waist to fit our short and tall ladies, instead we use the international standard sizing measurements which we adjust with feedback from the ladies to suite different riding positions. We remove some of the excess material behind the knee, to increase comfort on your motorcycle.
Our high waist band not only look fashionable (like the high waist you now get on the high street) but also prevent showing off your bum when riding ;-)
On sizing we try our best to manufacture true to size by using some popular high street brands sizing measurements as a starting point. We adjust the sizing almost in every second batch with surveys and feedback from ladies to ensure we can cater for the mass! As you know, some of us are hour glass, pear shape, small waist, straight waist, big calves, small calves, big tummy, small tummy..... we can not please all but we will continue to try our best!
Crash product feedback:
Jo - "Good morning, wanted
to say how sorry I am that I tested your kevlar leggings that I
purchased this summer, on Sunday morning. They held up very well saving my
knee and backside. The outer layer is shredded but the kevlar did it's
job. I cannot stress enough what a great product you have and how thankful
I am that I had them on"
Below an example from a lady who crashed at 65mph, notice that only the 1st Abrasion Layer was torn, the 2nd and 3rd layer (kevlar) was still in tact.... and then you still have the knee protectors!
How does MotoGirl compare to other brands of Kevlar Leggings?
How to look after your leggings!
So you bought a pair of leggings and the colour is fading! Yes, over time they will fade due to several reasons:
- We do not dye our inner layer kevlar black, due to the heat blend the kevlar fibers become weaker. We keep the original mix, the yellow raw kevlar as manufactured for more durability.
- We insert a 3rd layer of material in all impact areas, such as hip and knee (Zones 1 & 2, for you technical girls out there) to increase abrasion and test results
- We test only to European standards for motorcycle clothing and use the latest available methods. Not all countries have these standards in place, thus you will find some (8/10) have no tests done at all.
- We do not recommend to dye the leggings if they loose a little colour !!! Big no no! Dying process weakens the kevlar. Yes they will fade a little, just like jeans does (see 'how to look after my leggings').
- We designed a high waist, to ensure your lower back is not exposed on the bike
- You have been riding for days in the sun! Imagine lying on the beach for a couple of days in the sun... you go brown, red and get serious sun burn! The rays of the sun will just about colour every single fabric out there.
- You washed your leggings in detergent that contains bleach, or perhaps you washed your leggings after you have just washed your whites and there was still detergent in the system.
We recommend you give it a rinse in cold water, and lay flat to dry to maintain the positioning of the two layers.
Do not lay on the bed and get the other half or a friend to pull with force to get the leggings off, you will damage and snap the thread.
- Pull the waist down to your lower hips
- loosen and lower the knee area to below the knee
- then feed the material over your feet
- Repeat the above and they will slip off!
We happy to reply to any other questions you might have!